By Bonnie Gortler
The start of the holiday season is almost here. In less than two months, a new year begins. January is the most popular time when new goals begin. A new beginning, new opportunities, and possibilities, a time to invest in YOU. Investing in you is something to do all year long, not just for a holiday, or a week or occasionally. Yes, this sometimes may be challenging, but in the long run, taking care of your health and well-being helps everything and everyone around you.
Begin taking small strategic steps toward your goals and desires. Each success brings you closer to a life of tranquility instead of a life filled with stress and worry. You will become healthier and happier if you work toward your dreams at a consistent steady pace. Doing more doesn’t always make things better. You will be surprised how pleasurable and relaxing life is when you begin to focus on your passion, doing what you love.
Tranquility is defined by Dictionary.com as a “quality or state of being, calmness, peacefulness, quiet, and serenity.” I wish this for all of you.
Whether it’s during the holiday season, the start of a New Year, or another day, making well-being a priority is necessary. Did you ever notice how some days you are super busy and other days are quiet and peaceful? Wouldn’t it be great if you could jump-start your day on your terms? You can have this now, once you decide to create a real change in your life. By doing some simple action steps, creating change in your life, you could have a lifestyle of peace and tranquility doing what you enjoy. Below are simple practices you can choose to start doing that resonate with you. Improve your well-being with small changes and begin feeling more inner peace.
14 Simple Practices to Improve Your Well-Being with New Tranquility and Less Stress
- Start your day an hour earlier, creating some private time for you. Add some of your favorite music while enjoying your surroundings. Once you do so, you will be pleasantly surprised by how much you get done during this peaceful time of the day. What a great way to start your day.
- Choose something that you enjoy doing that gives you pleasure. Whether it be writing, prayer, meditation, or exercise. It doesn’t matter the activity. It’s whatever you love to do that will begin shifting your thoughts into a more positive frame of mind and calm. (I love my time I take for writing, exercise, and researching about fantasy sports with music in the background).
- Sit quietly for a few minutes during the day to clear your mind from the stress. Start to think of positive thoughts.
- Do less. I’m sure you have heard of the K.I.S.S. principle- Keep it simple stupid. Do you use this principle? If not, why? Stop now and decide to remove one item that you often do and are not getting the results you desire and simplify it. By using this principle, you will get more done, be happier and less stressed.
- Enjoy your journey setting goals for three months, six months, and one year. Pick on one goal to start working on in the short term, moving you towards your longer-term goal. Choose one thing at a time, focus on it, and make it happen.
- Create a morning and evening routine to start and end your day on a positive note.
- Plan a time to go through your E-mail inbox, getting rid of what is not important, or filing the email in a specific folder.
- Clear your desk regularly, helping you from feeling overwhelmed. I clean off my desk from my corporate job every Friday before I leave to go home.
- Respond to others without reacting. Raise your awareness of your surroundings. If someone says or does something to you that you don’t like, say and do nothing. Count to 10 before you respond. If you don’t have something nice to say, don’t.
- Be kind and compassionate to others and thoughtful of how others feel. Think about what the other person might be going through. Don’t judge them. Remember, there are two sides to every story and sometimes even three.
- Make it a point to be patient and gentle on yourself when you slip up. If you had a little too much to eat during your day, or at a party, don’t beat yourself up. Give yourself some space. You don’t have to be perfect.
- Move your body. Make exercise a daily routine. Start with five minutes each day. Expand the time with what works for you. Exercise not only helps you lose weight, but many times makes you feel so much better to like it has done for me.
- Find your passion. Do what you love to do regularly. Let your creativity shine. You will be happier, more tranquil, and less stressed.
- Be held accountable. Find a coach or partner who will support you on your journey.
You get to choose how you start your day. All it takes to get started is choosing one action step and following through with focused attention. Once you start and establish your routine consistently, you will create real change. Believe in yourself. Let today be the day that you make the decision that will lead you toward less stress and more tranquility as your dreams become a reality.
About Bonnie Gortler:
Bonnie Gortler, the Wealth & Well-Being Coach, is a successful stock market expert who has been instrumental in managing multi-million-dollar client portfolios within a top-rated investment firm during her over 35-year corporate career. As the author of “Journey to Wealth”, Bonnie has made it her mission to share the importance of risk management and how to enjoy true financial well-being by applying the technical and mental sides of investing. Bonnie has an M.B.A. in Business Administration and is a certified life coach. Visit BonnieGortler.com to learn more about investing, well-being, and personal development.